Thursday, April 07, 2005

family history april 23 1969

HAM (heather, andrew, miles), DAD (derek, amanda, diedre), my mom, susan & bruce & the girls all got together to celebrate my birthday as a family. it was a good time and tasty food.

we looked through a photo album belonging to my grandma june (from whom diedre got one of her middle names). there were many articles about my grandfather Les. he was named as quite a celebrity in white rock back in the day.


les had a dream to build a boat and sail around the world. my grandma supported this and so Les left from white rock bc (leaving june and his 6 kids behind (well, 3 lived at home, including my mom and aunt susan). he was missing somewhere between white rock and maui when this article was written.

he did show up a little late to maui because of some difficulties and decided to head home.

later, he set out to sail around the world again. he was more successful but was declared lost at sea somewhere around Papau New Guinea (the last communication from him came from there). my mom was probably 16 at the time. les was 49.

No comments: